Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Writing Women


Writing women when we are women....huh. I will tell you about me and my writing. First of all you all already know that I write my stories about the men I want to fall in love with so as I write I don't give much thought to the heroine until my editor tells me to give more description to the girl. Huh...what girl? Oh yeah, will do. 

Well it's not that bad but I will tell you if I pick up a book and start reading and the heroine is one of those helpless in every situations.....uh...I just put the book down. 

So....WRITE STRONG AND FIESTY HEROINES!!!

Here are some hints. 

Make uour female heroines strong. But don't forget a flaw of some kind which makes them human. 

Be careful of making your heroine hold top much in a feminist personality. Going overboard can be a turn off for male and female readers. It's OK to do so if it is a big reflection of the story's plot but otherwise you can write a strong heroine without burning bras. 

Give her opinions....stating opinions can give hint to her beliefs and maybe even the things she has been through. 

Give her flaws...if she is too perfect she won't be q believable character. 

Give her female companions so she csn support them and vent about her own issues. 

Given her confidence....it's sexy. It's a good draw for the male in the story. 

She should be straight forward in all things.

Honest and Loyal to a point is a great story maker but maybe in the story she finds the truth and loyal no longer applies. 

Assertive but not so overbearing she makes the hero look like a wimp. 

Optimistic in spite of all she may go through in your story. 

Actions should speak with her words....show don't tell who she is. 

Infective positive energy should flow from her without her even knowing.

Admits mistakes and learns from them right there in your story. 

Not a victim even though she may be injured and on the run. Not matter what she has been thru in the past she shouldn't whine about any of it. 

Lifts other up while barely able to keep her own ducks in a row. 

Seeks respect not attention....this can go a long way in a story. 

I hope this helps put a few ideas in your head. Think about the heroines in movies you have loved. They may have been vulnerable at times but never let themselves or others down. 

Now...go write your girl!