Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Music and Writing


I bet like me many of you have a music play list for your writing time. I know some of you must have complete quiet and no noise to write and that's fine but let's still talk about a playlist.

I am quilty of writing in the bedroom at night and while there I often have the TV on. I have to have some noise or I am easily tossed into boredom enough to get out of my seat. I am 56 years old and was just recently diagnosed with ADD...meaning if I am sitting in a completely quiet room a dog barking in the neighbors yard will distract me. And I have always had trouble focusing if 10 other things are going on around me and if you are talking to me I have to make certain I tell myself to really listen. The doc said your brain is moving so fast you miss things. She's right. I have 7 other things whirling while I try to make have a conversation. Same thing when I write. So sometimes for me the distraction of music while I write will allow my mind to stay focused on the story. Just low music to know the edge off of distractions elsewhere that might pull me away from the story. It's also best if I let my pandora play music where I don't know the words or yes, I will sing along and not be able to get the writing done. But I have found if I pick theme related music it helps me click back into the story. Sometimes I pick a lovesong for my couples and listening to it will remind me of the love between them so I can get my head back into the story. I have worked for a while now on Paint the Sky my story for Leaning Bear as I have mentioned. He is a Cheyenne Medicine Man of few words but very smart. He was in Dawson's Haven and so many people like him he is getting a story. So I have this Native American Music I play when working on his story. So try music if you are struggling to whirl you mind into a story again. I think the music helps if I have stepped away from a story for too many days. I am also thinking about adding some music to my blog so you all might see that some time. (If I can remember how to do it.) Anyway get back to your writing....we got this!!!