Sunday, June 4, 2023

Time to Write Week 23

 This coming week:

Group 1: Edits chapter 3
Group 2: Writing chapter 23
Group 3: Writing chapter 3

Writing is hard. If you have had trouble pushing to keep up on this blog ask yourself why? Why do you wish to write? What are your goals for your work?

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what are your reasons so you can find the motivations that make you sit at your laptop and grind through a story. 

Let's go back in time. When was writing first something you loved? When did that passion first hit you? We will all have different answers. Some authors have written since very young and for some this is a new avenue. 

I loved reading and writing from first grade and kindergarten but I never wrote long stories. Only what was required for school but I kept journals and notes and wrote ideas. By about age eight I wrote poetry and I always loved an assignment in class to write something. Anything. While all the other kids moaned and groaned I grabbed my pencil. 

By age 12 or 13 I was reading romance novels. I had discovered those early I suppose. Funny many of my discoveries were on my maternal grandmothers shelf in her small hallway. And I always loved to read....until I was in nursing school. 

That was the end of reading for fun. Imagine a med/surg book about 8 inches thick and for one test being assigned 500 to 1500 pages to read and that was only in the first book of the 6 to 8 we had to purchase. There was no time to read during nursing school. And when I finally did graduate it was a couple of years before I would even pick up a novel. 

But I did rediscover my passion to read as I gathered my life back after college. It wasn't until my girls were old enough to get their own bath though that I thought to myself I always wanted to write and publish a book and now it's time. 

I set my mind to it and I think that was 2011 and 2012. I jump through hoops and by 2015 I had a contract. 

I am sure we all have stories like that even though each one is unique. But I will challenge you now to think about...why are you writing now and what are you goals for now? Five years from now? 

If you don't finish the book this year along with us...will you next year or the next? Uhmmm...that would maybe let 3 to 5 years pass and you have produced nothing. 

Maybe you should ask your own GMC about your writing life. 

Who are you? 
What do you want?
Why do you want it?
What's standing in your way?

Seriously you have to dig deep if you are not accomplishing your writing. Only YOU can change a lack of progress. Only YOU can nature and grow your writing. 

I guess the question here is:
Do you want it bad enough to work for it?

For some of us yes. I have had to put my foot down with my husband and girls here and there to say I AM WRITING NOW. 

I have skipped TV...I only watch a few series here and there. I give up things to write. What are you giving up to make this happen. 

We all have all kinds of excuses. It may sound harsh but those are no longer allowed. It is up to you to find your writing time...so get to it. 

It's TIME TO WRITE!!