Sunday, December 3, 2023

Time to Write Week 49

Group 1: Edits chapter 29 and chapter 9

Group 2: Writing Chapter 49

Group 3: Writing Chapter 29
4 weeks remaining in our writing journey

Writing emotion. There is much to think about on the emotions of the characters with their internal and external conflicts. 

I always get into a bit of trouble with my editor on adding more emotions especially in the impact full scenes. So usually on my 2 or 3 rewrites I am conscious of working on that over and over. 

I will refer you to the Emotional Thesaurus for help on emotion. The whole series is fantastic for helping and I utilize them a lot while I am developing a story and as I edit. Worth the purchase a hundred times over.

I hear authors and editor speak about writing deeper (point of veiw) POV which is connected to writing better emotion. Readers want to experience the emotion the character is living for themselves. They dont want you to tell them what the reader is experiencing. They want you to show them so they feel the impact of what is hapoening first hand. This is where show verses tell goes into this deep POV and emotion as well. They are all intertwined. 

Don't tell the story. Show it through the readers eyes. To write impactful emotion you must include verbal and nonverbal communication. Dig deep. If your character is sad show them tearful with physical pain about it and with words that are heartfelt about their sadness. Their experience should be shown in their movement and thoughts and to the point that sadness is profound enough for your word to affect the reader in the same way. 

I urge you to read up this week on POV. Emotion. Show vs. Tell. And as you edit through your story think about these things in each scene and each reaction your character has to happenings. 

I have not given a lot of examples here. But pick up your favorite novel. Thumb through it to your favorite scene. Why is this favorite scene? Read it and red it again. Why and how has it impacted you to be your favorite scene? Write down what you answers are about that. Now turn those around to add them to your major scenes where you can. 

Again this is not easily learned. I still struggle to make sure my scene impact readers with the character emotions. I have to rework scenes time and again to make sure this is happening. You may have to work at it too. 

I urge your to study the craft of writing. Pinterest isna great place to search for topics on writing. I spend a lot of time there reading different authors views on how they do things. There is always something to learn. So this week do some reading up on this topic but don't lose your writing time. 

Onward!!