Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Writing Retreats...ideas and things to think about

Ya know, a writing retreat is great. A trip to the mountains to write for several days with other authors and time out for you to focus on your current manuscript. Usually fantastic if planned well. Some take off for the beach. I am all but sure at the beach I wouldn't get as much done but I write on a laptop at the pool on my family vacations.

BUT not all retreats have to be where you travel elsewhere. Me and my critique partners have rented a hotel over the weekend and wrote all we could without the interuptions of home. It might be writers can plan for a weekend at someone's home and take turns at it. That could sure save some costs on renting a place or paying a hotel.

And for some, like me, I mostly get my best writing done at home when I plan for it on a long weekend. AND I TELL MY FAMILY I WILL BE WRITING ALL WEEKEND. They know I will not be cooking or cleaning or assisting unless there is an emergency....only bug me if someone is bleeding or dying. Yes you have to make the time for your writing. If you don't allow this for yourself, trust me your family isn't gonna offer it.

But any retreat has rules. The times that will be writing times, break times and meals need to be clear. Spell these out for all involved. Some people need quite with no interuptions. Some need music and should plan for headphones. Some want table space while other will move around with their laptops. 

Bring pillows and foot warmers and anything you need to keep your writing space comfortable.
Meals, snacks and drinks need to be planned for. One retreat I attended each author brought their own. Another asked each author to prepare and provide one meal. Another called 6pm quits and went out to dinner. But plans need to be clear so everyone has what they need.

Now think about who are the other people on the retreat. Are these people you know well?
Do they agree to the plans?
One thing I learned is I am very allergic to cigarette smoke and a couple of authors smoked at a retreat I was on. Even thought they did so outside it must have remained on their clothing and my lips and face swelled making me sick for two weeks afterwards.


Plan for the temperature where you and dress accordingly. During writing time no interuptions or interupting each other.
Have everyone bring their craft books and have an area where authors can take a look at those books for helps.


Think about schedules. Some people prefer to sleep late or nap. But honest to God, if I am on a writing retreat I am gonna set a clock and utilize every minute...I can sleep at home later. A writing retreat if for writing.

So a writing retreat can be planned a lot of different ways. Any place you choose should have outlets and wifi. It should have enough space for everyone to spread out to write comfortably. 


Tips For a Home Retreat:


• Tell everyone your are out of town


• Turn off the Wifi. 


• Put your phone on Do Not Disturb.


• Eat healthily. Plan for solid meals that promote thinking. 


An idea of schedule for a retreat with several people:
7am....breakfast
8am to 12pm writing
12 to 1pm lunch
1pm to 5pm writing
6 to 8pm break for supper out
8 to 9pm brainstorming with others
9 to 11 writing (or opt out)


***We had coffee/tea going all day....and meals were planned ahead for each author to provide a breakfast and supper meal. All brought sandwich items for lunch and everyone brought snacks to share. Each night between 8 and 10 we had brain storming and story boarding for ideas. Others opted to continue writing.

List of things to bring along:
Laptop/chargers
Phone/chargers/ear plugs/headphones
Craft books/jump drives/External hard drives
Notebooks/pens/information you use to write
Portable desks
Extension cords
Comfortable clothing & shoes & jacket
Comfortable night clothing & slippers
Toiletries & meds
Pillows, blankets, robes
Drinks, snacks & meals
Coffee/tea/hot chocolate
Mugs/cups
Plates, utensils, paper goods
Trash bags

(Plan it like a camping trip bring all you need! You can leave it in the car until needed if you are not sure you will use something.)