Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Writer's Block...and a few things we may need to work on

Honestly I do not get writer's block. There is never a time in my writing life that I hit a wall of not knowing what to write. Now that being said I may hit a tangle in a story and need time to think my way to a solution but as a rule I can always find something to work on with my writing. If I hit a scene and it isn't coming together then I change up to another scene or change up by editing a scene. 

But there are times I avoid sitting my rear end in the chair and getting to it. 

When writing to create a story a certain part of the brain is used while editing touches a different part of your thinker. SOme sometimes swapping up can help. 

But if you are struggling with what to write...maybe you should make a carefully detailed outline to follow. 

If you are stuck...go back and review a scene to see where you were headed and what should come next. 

I once read the director of the TV series Deadwood was an older gentleman and he would lay down in the middle of the planning table and start tossing ideas while others around him jotted down his thoughts for him. 

Maybe a planning session with a critique partner would be a good start for getting back to the story. 

Maybe check your outline and change a few things. Check the story and character arcs. Is there enough conflict to keep even you interested?

So many things can affect our writing so let's talk about you. You planned this writing hour so why can't you do it? Did you rest enough the night before? Our lives can be so busy but if you don't carve out the writing time you won't get it. If you live in a chronic state of crazy it can be hard to settle down and write.

It's OK to be tired. But what are you doing to create balance in your life? I know my family realizes when I have writing time I am much easier to live with. 

For me if I want to plan a big writing day on a weekend...then I have to spend that week gaining a lead on chores and getting ahead of the dishes in the sink, the clothes that need to be washed and what are the kids up to this weekend that will take me away from writing time. Negotiate your writing time like I keep mentioning. 

Fatigue and sleep. Someone once told me tired is tired just do it anyway. If tired is your thing figure out why? Is tired sleep deprived or is tired a way to avoid what you need to do? Is a nap because you need it or so you can escape chores and other life interruptions. 

Fix your sleep. Find a way because it is hard to write if you mind is fatigued. 

I live with hashimotos thyroiditis...in short autoimmune hypothyroid disease which robs ever cell in my body of energy. Some people with my condition give up easily and lay down and some end up on disability unable to keep up with a job. Some mornings when I wake at 6am or before I could simply cry and give up and lose my job...but I don't have that option. Even if I slept all night the fatigue is almost crippling at times. Deep breath and up I go with the help of some morning deep breathing exercises and a warm shower because I cannot tolerate the morning cold very well.

But this blog isn't about thyroid disease. Its about finding why you are fatigued or why you use sleep as an escape. Fix it. Start on fixes for it. This is your life and it's your story that needs you. 

A warning too of compassion. Depression can cause fatigue and the need for more sleep. Please get help if this is you. Your life is worth it and things like depression should not be ignore. 

Motivation verses fear and self doubt. Each time I know it's time to start a new story I seem to go through this idea I will never write THE END. But I always do...I think all of us have some self doubt we may go through. Write anyway. I keep saying you cannot edit an unfinished story. 

Motivation verses Procrastonation. SCHEUDULE YOUR WRITING TIME AND STICK TO IT WITH A TIMER AND BUTT IN CHAIR. Maybe you have to start in short writing bursts. 20 minutes then 30 and so on. But it's making it a routine that will stick. 

Change the music. Change the scenery. Take a short break. Take a walk. Read another story...a short one. But don't miss that one hour a day dedicated to the story you are writing. 

You got this, just keep moving forward each day to accomplish something. 

Suggestions for writers block:
1) Start writing anything...journaling helps some. 
2) Read what you have and see if your mind will kick in to what comes next
3) Would writing a different scene help
4) How about a brain storming session with a critique partner
5) Focus on just one scene and what should happen and see how you like it