Sunday, January 15, 2023

Time to Write Week 3

Hi writers!! And we have 2 weeks behind us. 14 days. Half a month. What did you accomplish? Really for two weeks what have you gotten done and if not enough, how are you gonna change that? Here is hoping you have a general outline of your story that you can add to and tweak as needed through this whole process. And you should have a start or possibly a completed first chapter or even a scene will do.

No beating yourself up if you have not made this progress but do think about what is standing in your way. Negotiate again for your time. Fight for your story. Do that now! What can you change to make sure in week 3 you find your writing time? Fix it. No delays. No procrastination. Map it out. 7 days. 7 hours. ANd it is time to work on chapter 2. DO NOT GO BACK AND EDIT THROUGH CHAPTER 1.

Here is an idea. What 3 things keep you from writing? Jot them down in your book right next to where you mapnout this coming weeks plans for writing. 

I'll go first. The 3 biggest things for me are:
1) fatigue
2) time
3) other obligations

I work full time as a nurse M thru F. I leave the house before 7 and return after 5. I have two busy teens, a husband, dog, cat, and chores. So what am I going to do for each item that keeps me from writing. 

1) Fatigue. I fight hypothyroidism which adds fatigue and aching unrelated pain daily. This is better some days than others but I do try to take advantage of the days I do feel good by writing more than an hour and there are days my fatigue says nope, not today. I still try to push for my writing hour. But when my focus is off due to fatigue maybe that is a day I decide to edit what I have or do a bit of planning verses writing. 

2) Finding time. I have been writing since 2011 and was not published until 2015 but my family knows when I say I am writing now...I am writing now. On weekends I usually announce I am writing today and the message gets thru as I negotiated for this time a long time ago. But I do have to clarify my time here and there. And while I am able to write at home well enough, some writers tell me they can't manage writing time at home. So no matter where you write set that time and find a way to get to it. I just have not cared for heading out to starbucks or the Library for making writing time, but some of you may need to do that. To me time on the road is time wasted that I could be writing, but for others a trip to write may be the only way to find time. 

3) Other Obligations. Chores...yes we all have them. I am blessed. I have a husband who helps. But I let the guilt get me at times and while he works hard to do chores I need to do my fair share. So weeknights I come in from work and do my best to help with supper and clean up. Pet care. Clothes washing. House cleaning and more. And I am not a good house keeper...just not my thing. But I also have 3 other people in this house and I don't do it all. Like I said my husband helps...a lot. And my teen girls have chores. I won't say I don't have to harp and remind them from time to time...but they must help or I won't get my writing time. It's OK for even little kids to have chores....small things to help. Delegate and expect results. Otherwise it will take your writing time. So I do chores until around 7 or 8 and then regardless what's done I get my hour to write. And weekends I get a few more chores done and as long as we don't have plans, I have more time to write. I make it my time. Otherwise I could wax the driveway or scrub the roof. Sometimes I make a chore list and when a few things are done, I WRITE. 

So where are your plans hindering you? And just like you are planning for your hour a day to write, plan what you need to do about the things in your way. There is a solution for each so figure it out. This book is not going to write itself. 

Next week we will talk about fear a bit. 

Week 3:
1) Review your outline. Tweak where needed. Add ideas or reminders in the margins. The messier the better. A planning book is a work of art, kind of like a WRECK THIS JOURNAL.

2) Read chapter 1 or the scene your wrote last week. Fix typos and errors if you like but do not edit much. This is a quick read for getting your head in the story. This is not the time to perfect it. You get 20 minutes to do this and then move ahead to Chapter 2. 

3) Spend this week writing chapter 2 or the second scene. If it's flowing write chapter 3 or at least head that direction during this week. The first three chapters of a book make it or break it. Make sure every word counts on uppint the ante or the stakes for you characters. Put those characters through heck!

Don't forget to remove distractions...chores or TV. Those things that suck time away from your writing. Negotiate the hour a day you need again or maybe this week you need to reorganize or replan how your writing time is or is not happening. What can you change to make it work better? Do it! Fix it or plan it today. Then write. 

Share your ideas of how you are finding your writing time as it might help another writer. So feel free to comment here where your are also struggling to find that time. Who isn't finding the time, tell us why? Maybe comments will help. We gotta help each other. 

Some writers like to track their progress. Some do so by word count or chapter completions. If it would help you to jot down the times you write add it to your book or on the side of your outline. Sometimes seeing it written can help you decide why you are not getting your writing time in. Identify the culprit if you can and fix it. Sometimes it is rear end in chair and hands on keyboard.
Goodluck this week.

And when you have your hour in, don't forget to take a peak at my Facebook Page Author Kim Turner for more hints and support. BIT ONLY AFTER YOUR HOUR IS DONE!