Sunday, January 1, 2023

Time to Write Week 1


So...do you want to write or do you want to speak forty reasons why you haven't been writing? This is my first post of the year on TIME TO WRITE and my topic for all of 2023 will be about writing prompts, hints and encouragement for those who want to FINISH THE BOOK! I will try to have a post set for every Monday so your week of writing will run Monday to Sunday night for each week's tasks. This is the year you will complete your manuscript and submit that story for Publication. 

I am a Romance author with my heart in the old west and I attend writing meetings and conferences each year. I am surprised at the number of writers/authors who have not been able to complete a story or finish a book they may have been working on for years. Stick with me this year and my hopes are you come out on the other side with a completed novel. Together we can do this!!

We all have busy lives but what is stopping you from the story you want to finish? Family, the day job, procrasintation, thinking you can't, total avoidance due to fear? This list could go on and on. But what are you gonna do about it? You can sit and watch another year go by or you can keep up right here and complete a rough draft in 6 months or a year. That choice is yours and also depends on the length of your story and your time management and willingness to stick to the plan. I like the idea of two time options but the way I plan to set this up, even if you can meet neither you can follow and complete each assignment at your own pace.

So first things first. It's the first week of a new year. 2023. 52 weeks to go. Even a chapter a week would give you a heck of a book one year from today. So what is holding you back? That is yours to answer and resolve.

Grab a pen and paper. Better yet grab a notebook where you can follow your progress all year. If you stick with me here on this blog you will have a rough draft completed in no time. Grab your laptop if you don't prefer to write by hand. Either is fine.

So for week one starting today. Jot down what you are currently working on? If nothing is in progress, what can you pull out from the cobwebs under your bed? You know, that story that has been there for more than five years now because you were going to write it one day? Yeah, pull that one out or decide on the one story you can put your heart and soul into this year.

Some of you may take the entire year, some may only need a few months or a bit more and some will bail on the idea all together. But if you call yourself a writer/author...and you aren't producing at the very least a book a year, 55K or so if not a lot more, then are you really a writer? I challenge you to prove it. I will do the same. 

STOP THE INSANITY AND JUST WRITE THE BOOK!

Week 1:
1) Decide on the story.

2) Refresh yourself on the story. If anything is already written take a look at it all again. Don't worry about rewriting or editing right now. Just reacquaint yourself with the story for a few days.

3) If you are starting fresh then you have 7 days to start on your story idea. Jot down what the plan is for your story and add to it each day. These are just notes, just all about the idea-no need to be neat or orderly. Just get it down.

*A couple of rules are involved. You must touch, read, jot ideas, plot items, do something on or about this story each day for one hour. No days off for 1 week to get your head back in the story or to pull together ideas for a new story.

Use your notebook to keep track of what's needed or ideas that come while you are reviewing what you have. Its easy for me to track this on my phone, so find the easiest thing for you. The idea is this notebook should not be much trouble and should not take your time except where initially planning. Its just a place to keep ideas together. Big time should be spent on writing.

Plotters: Those who like to write in order with a set outline and plan. That is what you need to work on this first week...a basic outline of what you are planning. It is OK to keep adding to it all week. I know, I know, order is important, so stick to the order you need to develop the story. 

Pansters: Those who write without an outline or plan; you can still jot down your ideas and plotting you are aware of. While an outline may not be your thing, you do need to have a general idea of what is going to happen in your story from beginning to end even if you are not sure of all the happenings. 

And.....Go! This is your first week of daily novel work. No excuses. No missed days. You don't even get weekends off here. Writers write. Butt in chair....now!

Week one Pointer: If you do not make time for writing you will not finish this story. Remove your biggest barrier right now for week one.

Is it the day job? Well, you cannot remove that. But can you find at least an hour a day this week prior to or after work where nothing distracts you. Get that set now. Leave work at work. Set your writing time. 

Is family taking every extra moment? Plan for your hour a day by asking your spouse for help and your kids for that one hour of freedom. Make it a priority or it will not happen. Set it in stone. Is it one hour after dinner or an hour when your first get home from work. 

Stay at home moms. Maybe it's only obtainable when the kids nap or after they go to bed. Maybe when they are reading your can write. If the kids are little maybe a one hour movie time is yours to write. 

Homeschooling moms, give those kids their own writing or reading assignments and do it together. Or carve out that hour when the kids get recess. 

Full time jobers, make the time that fits you best. I know I will never get up an hour early to write prior to work. I have never been able to do that. But I can find an hour each evening that is mine. I am hinting at trying to work on that one hour early in the morning and I am gonna give it a go once more. I am not back to work until Wed. so I will be trying then. 

I'll have more specific hints each week. For now all you need is 1 hour a day that belongs to you and your story idea. Negotiate for it and set your freedom and hold yourself and others to it. It initially took me a while for my husband and girls to understand I AM WRITING. I will be with you all in an hour. Right now is not your time, it is my time. 

Maybe you need to give up TV or things like that which are a time suck. Social Media can be a big problem so turn off that phone for one hour. 

So follow my blog on MONDAYS and get yourself ready to finish the book!! AND LOOK FOR WRITING HELPS EVERY THURSDAY HERE ON MY BLOG!!! But be kind, in order for me to keep up with my own writing I know there will be typos and errors in what I post twice or more each week. Those of you who are critical, just let it go. I am writing these on the fly! But I will be working hard on my story right along with all of you! 

So comment here on the blog where you wish or find me on Facebook. Lets chat when it's hard, lets write when the story hits. Lets finish a book this year!!!!

Oh and I will also try to have a guest author on here now and then so they can offer helps as well!

Find my author facebook page and follow there for other hints and things related to writing each week. 

Author Kim Turner on Facebook.