Sunday, March 6, 2022

How writing Scenes instead of chapters can help you write faster

 


So what is the difference between a chapter verses a scene? Some authors make a scene a chapter and some chapters can have multiple scenes.

Everyone has their own style of writing, plotting out every detail or just grabbing a laptop and tossing an idea on the page. There is no right way but learning to write scenes can help you pull your story together faster and help to save the slow middle everyone has to refine. 

Scenes are Mini-happenings that link the story. Scenes have a beginning and middle and end. 

Chapters are clear large happenings which move the story forward and allowed for giving the reader order within the story.

One scene might actually complete a chapter while another chapter might have several scenes. 

I always say and I more a panster than a plotter but that isn't always the truth. I plot out a bit of my story in my head but I have never written a story in order. I know things that will happen and so often enough I write various scenes that I see occurring and later I add them to my WIP. (Work in Progress)

Once added to my WIP I might have to do several things. Once might be that I need to add another scene to connect the current scene into the story to make sure it is connected and what is happening flows. Other times I add the scene and then fluff more of what is happening and a short scene might grow into a full chapter by the time I am done. And lastly I may add rhe scene and realize while I love it...the story doesn't need it. (But I do save these scene in another file so I can keep them if they are not needed.)

It's important when merging scenes that they fit where they have the most impact. Scenes have to fall into the pacing of the story and character arc to make an impact which moves your story forward. 

A lot of times my stories are written in scenes with only scene breaks in between and no chapter headings. Once I have a rough draft I go back and decide how many scenes make each chapter as I work through the story Once more.

Writing in scenes can make a better flushed out story. Meaning scenes can be shorter and tighter...less word count and getting to the point. Thus a cleaner story when you finally have a first draft. This can make editing a bit easier. As you pull together scenes then you can focus on good chapter beginning and how a chapter ends...to make that reader keep reading and turn that page. 

When writing a scene it needs to bring a change or offer a push ahead on the story...not just be stuck there for filler. Something has ro change for the scene to be vital to the story. 

A scene should not be long descriptions of scenery and setting. And it shouldn't just be an idle scene of characters sitting around with no purpose. It shouldn't be random happenings that do not add to the story. And as we always know not to dump backstop or big info dumps...scenes should not do this either. 

Scenes need to add an active turning point. Something needs to happen to add conflict or cause a change for a character or for the overall story. A scene should provide a turning point at times...the character learns something new or realizes something important. Again something should change that impacts the story and reader. 

So whether you are a plotter or panster or write your story in order or not, you may benefit from writing strong scenes verses long chapters. Give it a try...

Remember to identify your scenes purpose. When and where does the scene take place and who is in the scene. Get quickly to the why this scene is needed. What is discovered? What changes? And does it push your story forward?