Sunday, February 6, 2022

Tomboy

Me....still...and ongoing....and forever...

I cried every Sunday morning because God required I wear a dress to church. I never liked church until I grew up and chose a church where I could wear a t-shirt, jeans and Teva’s if I wanted to. 
Oh I loved Jesus and still do...but I don't think he required a dress to learn his word. Sometimes I have been known to dress less fancy for the shock factor anyway...

Case in point...we took a cruise and you had to dress up to eat in the dining room. It wasn't the Titanic by any means so....NOPE! Jeans with a sweatshirt and tennis shoes for me...I paid what the others sitting nearby paid...I'll have the filet mignon, thanks. If a restaurant needs dress up....for me it's a pass. 

I didn't go to my senior prom not because I didn't have a date but because....yeah the dress thing again and being formal and heels hurt my feet and I'd rather have Taco Bell than Brussel sprouts. I stayed home and read a book...much happier that way. 

Yep, I wore a wedding dress but I had a ballcap to match once the pictures were done. And I had a Yoo Hoo...not wine...and I was barefoot. Married on the beach. And my vows were love, honor, cherish....not obey. Didn't prefer that choice of words...but I love him still.

I sort of feel sorry for my daughters...I am not the princess type and they probably needed a better girlie girl type role model. Hair, make-up and dress up with heels....uh...pass! I'm the mama who pushed them to do things for themselves, not remain a helpless female and even now talk to them about not having to rely on a man for their future. Sure fall in love and find your partner, not one you have to take care of or one who has no idea how to hold down a job to provide. Go provide for yourself...don't set yourself up to rely on anyone. 

My Dad taught me to ride a motorcycle and drive a stick shift and change a tire. My Mom taught me to play softball, cook and paint...yes paint walls inside the house and outside if needed...a farm girl in her own rights. 

I am not too keen on bugs and certainly not spiders but I love to camp and I have fished more hours than could be counted. My Grandmother wouldn't fish on Sundays but I have no hard rules about that. 

I also played drums...not flute...why be normal? Drums were more fun...actually Xylophone was my favorite. 

I loved my Papa and Granny's farm...endless hours to explore. Horses, cows, wild kittens, fields, ponds, and I even slept on a cot on the screen front porch at times in the summer. I loved to nap there in the afternoon when it rained. 

Never was in the competition of being the prettiest with the best make-up and hairstyle and clothing...ick? Who cared back then growing up or now at my age...never needed to be a princess or Barbie...for that matter I never owned a Barbie but I had a passel of G.I. Joe's. They had better stuff...trucks and guns. Not swim suits and heels. 

But Tomboy didn't mean I didn't like boys, in fact I had more friends that were boys than I ever had girlfriends. Girls were whiney drama and so God has seen fit for me to raise two of them. Stop the whiney drama and get to it. Boys were just straight forward with no drama and no PMS about who has better hair or what shade of lipstick. How boring. 

I spent hours in a tree house, thought dogs were better humans than most and still do. I played cowboys and Indians....no I didn't pretend to be Becky Boone...I was Daniel with a shotgun to boots. Ha! I was a great shot too when I had weapons that had bullets real and pretend.

I wouldn't wear red or "curly clothes" as a little girl. Still don't wear red today but maybe a few curls if I have to dress for work or some important event that I have no choice about.

I went to a slumber parties a time or two as a girl and teen...so much silly girl drama. I usually opted out of most. Stayed home to do my own thing and I am sure it was more fun since I am also a total introvert. My cup is fuller when alone and depleted in a crowd. 

I did have baby dolls and stuffed animals only because I held a weekly veterinarian clinic or had hospitals to run. Not time for Barbie dress up and all those itty bitty heals.

And foe today. I own a couple of dresses mostly for weddings, funerals or the random writing events I attend. Work? Nope. If work required daily dress up in the form of a dress or skirt I would search for a new job...I kid you NOT. 

And I am famous for...should I have to wear a dress...my biker shorts ride beneath it. Opps...Oops...TMI. Seriously, as a teen and twenty something I had shorts and t-shirts under my dress and as soon as I escaped church I pulled off that dress and heels right there in front of everyone and God and drove off in comfort. 

But all in all I suppose I am still without a doubt a Tomboy at heart. It's more comfortable there. I am just not fragile like a flower petal, I am fragile like a bomb.