Sunday, February 20, 2022

Marketing and Book Promotion ideas...no wonder there is no time left to write....


Marketing/Promoting Books is not easy for writers whos should be and want to be writing. Yet, if we do not find the time to promote our books, it's not really gonna happen. But here are a few of the things I have summed up in hopes to give out a few ideas. 

When someone wants to promote your story, be careful, sometimes that doesn't come cheap. So do your research. I was making a post on a Facebook author group and there must be a new thing where book marketers stalk these groups to nab writers for their pay off. This is not new no matter where you hang out on social media. So, again do your research and check your promotional budget for what works best for you. 

Blog Hopping is easy but can also have a fee. I choose to go mostly with those blogs that are free as I have a very limited budget for promo. 

Things to have ready for a blog or things to include: Front and Back book cover, Book Links including Audio Links, Excerpt, Blurb, Author Bio and Picture, personal blog or website link, Book trailers, 2 to 3 good reviews for starters. Some bloggers want to interview you, your characters or allow you to submit what you wish and everyone is different. I created a one-page item that has all I mentioned above on each book, but again sometimes bloggers need easier to copy and paste typed up items or jpegs for covers and pictures. Just follow their rules because they all have them. (Some call this a media kit.)

Writing Website: Yes, you should have one. These are not cheap but are helpful. Building one for a non-computer geek like me wasn't easy. I got some help and pay my fees when due. (www.kimturnerwrites.com) Things to post on a website are unlimited but I stick to my books, blurbs, and links for now. I keep the website simple. Sharing your website on social media each time something new is added is one plan. Post book trailers too! Again you can add anything you like.  

Personal Blog: No necessary but I enjoy having this one. It's free but it is not owned by me...like a website. (kimturnerwrites.blogspot.com) I have used my blog in various ways over the year. Post those same things I mentioned above in your media kit. 

A blog is a good place for giveaways or hints of what is coming with your stories. This is new for me to do a once-a-week writing post. I spotlight authors and add various things as they hit me. 

NetGalley, Bookbub, Goodreads....excellent places to have a presence and get reviews!

Facebook Author pages are popular as well as Facebook groups related to writing and book promotion/marketing are great places to hang out. But be careful, some only let you post promo on certain dates, and others not at all. I drop the ones that don't allow me to promo when I want to as my time is limited and in over 300 FB groups I can't remember who allows promo on the third Friday of each month...come on. I also find Facebook parties create a lot of fun around a new book, but I think that depends on how well they are set up. 

Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Pinterest are all great places to promote your stories!

Amazon Author Central: Got and set up your author page. Connect your books to you and keep it updated. It has a place to add your website and even book trailers. This is free. 

YouTube: It's a great place to make your own page and I add all my book trailers there. It wasn't too hard to set up either and it's free. 

Newsletter. A lot of authors find this helpful, my issue has always been time. So I have more than not used my personal blog as a newsletter to catch folks up on my writing. 

Street Teams: The special people that read for you and get sneak peeks of stories. This can go a long way but besides a special group of beta readers, I have not done a newsletter. 

Some authors have the money to pay for major promotions but be careful about companies and what they offer or what they think they can offer. This can range from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. Not in my budget with being with a small press. 

All the things mentioned here are by far not all that is out there to help you sell books but this is a hint for those that are new. Look each item up and do your own research so you can make the right choices that fit you and where you are in marketing and promo. 

Happy selling! Hey, quit playing on your phone and get back to your story!