Sunday, February 26, 2023

Time to Write Week 9

Congratulations! You have been working for 2 months on your story. So before we move on to talk about chapter 10....let's talk about our writing time.

It is said that 19 times at something creates a habit. I hope by now you have made finding writing time a habit. That was one of our first goals and for some, that may be the hardest of things we are trying to accomplish here. So ask yourself again, am I getting that hour in a day or more now? Am I productive when I do? If your answers are not yes then why not fix it? Find the opt-out button for things that drag you away from what you most want to do. Let your family know again how important this is to you. Tell them the time you are taking as I promise they are not going to offer you the time to do so. You have to take it.

I probably sound a bit unrelenting but hey, I have a full-time demanding day job, a husband, 2 teen girls, and a dog and cat. I define the word busy 7 days a week, but I also as mentioned have some health issues that make it tough at times. If I am going to write, I have to spell out that time clearly to everyone including myself. I have to carve out that time but it is me who has to find my way to sitting down and writing. It's no good to have the time and not use it. And I can procrastinate or find some chore I think needs done first.

But schedule that time like a job or appointment that you MUST attend. Write it down and add that note to the fridge. Then everyone will know. Set things up ahead of time so when that hour hits all is ready. As I have mentioned I knock out chores 2 to 3 days prior so that I can have that time. Or when it is 7pm...for me it is time to write. ME TIME. BOOK TIME. I promise your family will survive. And it might even be that you are a happier person for your family because your story is moving forward and you are making progress.

So, we are on Chapter 10 for this coming week. So only this one chapter with a good look back at your outline to make sure you are following the plan. Take time to look at the outline from chapter 1 all the way to where you are with Chapter 9 complete. NO GOING BACK TO EDIT AT THIS TIME. Let it go TYPE A folks. We will get to that. Right now we are wanting to write as fast as possible. Editing will have its time later.

Go ahead to chapter 10 but double-check your story and character arcs. What are the goals and motivations? Is there conflict? Don't let everything come easy to your characters...make them struggle and work for things and the conflict should be as huge as mountains. Readers want to be sucked in and route for the hero/heroine to get there, but the more hoops the character has to struggle through the more the reader will clutch that story and keep reading.

So only chapter 10 this week with some tidying up of things in chapters 1 through 9 where needed. Use your outline notebook to jot down what changes, additions, and deletions that need to be done. IF big don't make them now. Just make a note. If small take care of them but do not get bogged down in what you have written....move forward.

If you are on a roll writing, then that is great. Don't let this blog stop you...go on to the next few chapters if it is happening.

I decided to do this type of blogging because Nano just isn't something that works for me with having a full-time job and all. But I can do one scene or one chapter a week. And I say scene because sometimes I do not label my chapters as I go and just use scene breaks and later decide where chapters end for my stories.

SO don't forget to follow my Facebook Auther Kim Turner. If you need an invite then let me know.

Also remember on this blog I have helpful hints posted on Thursdays to keep us all learning as we go. Let's help each other keep writing and moving ahead. How are things going for you. Let us know what helps and if you need helps ask.

WE ARE GONNA FINISH THAT BOOK!