Thursday, August 14, 2014

From the CRITIQUE CORRAL...Introducing Denni Garrett

I figured what this blog needs is a Critique Corral. A place where some of my friends (who are avid readers and writers) can post what they have been reading or writing. Nope, it doesn't have to be about cowboys or the old west and there might even be times it gets a little heated, but this is another way to connect my blog to reading and seeing what is out there! So first one out of the chute at this month's Critique Corral:  Dennie Garrett.

 




Hi, my name is Denni and I am a Bookaholic.  I have been a bookworm since way back to childhood.  One of my most precious memories is when I was a child and my beloved Granny saving her Guideposts for me.  I loved to read anything!  My favorite books growing up were the Little House on the Prairie books.  I kept one of the series checked out at all times.  Pa Ingles reminded me so much of my Daddy and I wanted to marry Mr. Edwards. 
 
I am a native of the beautiful Upstate of SC.  I was born and raised there. I have traveled to many places but could never see myself living anywhere else.  I am divorced with no children.  I have 2 dogs, a Chihuahua named Sassi Belle and a poodle named Bindi Sue that are my fur kids.  I love animals and love to rescue them and find good homes for them.
 
I also have a 5 year old nephew who I adore.  He is such a blessing to our family. 
 
My reading preferences are very diverse.  I like reading all genres of books.  Some of my favorite authors are Stephen King, Greg Iles, Jeffery Deaver, Ann Rule, Vince Flynn and Dorothea Benton Frank.  That is just a tip of the iceberg.  I also like to look for old books, from authors that you have never heard from...a good book is a good book.  I am looking forward to sharing some of my favorite books with you all.  Feel free to email me your reading recommendation at alabama81@aol.com.
 
Happy reading!
 
Bookworm Denni---take a look below at the first book I've picked!













Book- Transfer of Power     Author- Vince Flynn
 
If you are looking for a hero, then no need to look any farther.  Mitch Rapp, Vince Flynn's fearless CIA counter-terrorism Superman fits the definition of hero!  He will amaze you and you will find yourself on the edge of your seat, hoping he will outsmart the bad guys.
 
I have read all of Vince Flynn's books (some more than once) and I think my favorite is Transfer of Power.  Terrorists get by security at the White House and that forces the President to go into hiding in an underground bunker.  The Terrorists take hostages and start making demands.  They then start the painstakingly task of breaking into the supposedly indestructible bunker.  But fear not, Mitch Rapp makes his way, undetected into the White House to save the day.  He moves like a cat and sneaks his way among the halls and secret passageways of the White House.  ( I had to wonder if secret passageways actually do exist there in real life.  Mr. Flynn tells a story that makes you feel like you're on the inside looking out, instead of the outside looking in)
 
Rapp saves the hostages before he saves the President.  But before he knows it, he realizes he's fighting someone within his own government that wants his rescue of the President to fail. 
 
I am not going to reveal the ending...you'll have to read it to find out.  (you will thank me later)
 
When I read a book, I have in my mind's eye, a picture of the characters as they emerge.  Mitch Rapp is a combination of Rambo, Chuck Norris, Seal Team 6, McGyver and Jack Bauer.  I pictured him as tall, steely eyed, square jawed and devilishly handsome.  Just like the very handsome Mr. Flynn looks on the back cover of his books.












No comments:

Post a Comment